Tips for a No Waste Lunch at Home and at School
Did you know that if you use a disposable lunch, you create between 4–8 ounces of garbage everyday? That can add up to as much as 100 pounds per year!
Pack a no-waste lunch for work or school with these tips:
- Use a lunch box or reusable sack.
- Pack a cloth napkin and reusable utensils.
- Put food in reusable food and drink containers.
- If you must use a disposable plastic bag wash it out and keep reusing it.
- Purchase your snacks in bulk size and repack into individual reusable containers.
- Pack fresh fruit since it doesn't require any additional packaging.
Helpful hints for school cafeterias:
- Offer food rather than serve everyone the same so that less food ends up in the trash.
- Use recyclable or compostable trays and utensils rather than one time use ones that are thrown away.
- Start a vermicomposting (with worms) or composting program on your school site. You can compost almost all of your food waste except for fats, oils, meats, cheeses and dairy products.